[MG] Votespace social map - layout stability

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Sat Apr 16 03:46:40 EDT 2011

>> ... (BTW, is sorting of voters by number of votes like in the
>> current vote-space theoretically still possible or not?)...
> No.  A single shift in a leaf might have a massive effect on the
> layout of the tree.  We require a stable layout.

Ok. But in the rarer cases, where a voter reaches the top20 of his
candidates voters he would replace the former 20. voter, right? BTW,
will we have a place for "others" in the circle too, i.e. voter 21,
voter 22, ... and one for "me" if I'm not among the top20?

Another thing: I feel, it might be better to give the positions not
according to the name of the voter. The only advantage I see, the easy
recognition across different polls, will probably not work many times,
because the places will be taken. Then people might even give up to look
for him, because they think, he always has to be the "south-guy". If we
give this up, we can give the first voters always the positions
rectangular to the tangente of the circle, which looks more beautiful
imo. And if they grow in number, they open up to half a circle, like a
flower. :-) Also it looks more like real people: if they want to talk to
their candidate, they will all try to be in front of his face, as long
as there is room there. And then I would stick to the rule, The_User has
proposed: if a voter withdraws his vote, leave the position open for his
return until all others are taken. What do you think?