[MG] Democracy across borders

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Fri Apr 15 07:58:31 EDT 2011

Jens Egholm wrote:
> The full title is called Democracy across borders: from D?mos to
> D?moi. It's really a great insight in the transnational democratic
> ideas, although it centers around the EU. If you have access to
> Ebrary (ebrary.com) you can find it online there, otherwise there's
> always google books: http://books.google.dk/books?id=kDbOqEXUIRoC

Thanks Jens.  My library has a copy, I'll pick it up.  It looks well
written.

> This doesn't really ease my thoughts about developing the theory,
> but I'm somewhat excited about the unexplored aspects here. To me
> though it's pretty obvious to connect the deliberate ideas and the
> more general notion of "network" democracy (here: proxy voting) with
> an institutional setup, since some of these brilliant thoughts needs
> to be fleshed out somewhere. Your attempt in your very interesting
> article which (if I may cite you?) will definitely help me define
> the specific, tecnical aspects. The section about communicative
> compositions particularly invoked my interest. I've been thinking a
> lot about the practical aspects of deliberation, but your ideas of
> "cascading contribution" really makes sense. Thanks for showing me
> this :)

You're welcome!

I don't mean to ignore connections with state institutions.  I only
mean that the existing institutions are probably well enough
structured and sufficiently adaptable to handle the connections, once
we're ready to offer them.

> ... Hopefully this will happen soon. As political scientists I
> really think we have an obligation to probe these regions with (in
> my opinion) such a great potential. Even though it may seem
> challenging. Hopefully my attempts will help shred some light on
> this, although I wouldn't get my hopes up - there is so much
> literature here. But again, thanks for taking your time to guide me.

It's an encouraging sign that ordinary people, such as us, feel we can
talk with some authority about such extraordinary things.  Not to
mention, it's a pleasure. :-)  If this is a pattern for the future,
then I feel we're on the right track.