Google at the Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP '10)

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 18:23:27 EDT 2010

I mentioned to Mike that I was fascinated by this so here's a link.
Speak of the devil and all that.
Sent to you via Google Reader

Google at the Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language
Processing (EMNLP '10)

Posted by Slav Petrov, Research Scientist

The Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing
(EMNLP '10) was recently held at the MIT Stata Center in
Massachusetts. Natural Language Processing is at the core of many of
the things that we do here at Google. Googlers have therefore been
traditionally part of this research community, participating as
program committee members, paper authors and attendees.

At this year's EMNLP conference Google Fellow, Amit Singhal gave an
invited keynote talk on "Challenges in running a commercial search
engine" where he highlighted some of the exciting opportunities, as
well as challenges, that Google is currently facing. Furthermore,
Terry Koo (who recently joined Google), David Sontag (former Google
PhD Fellowship recipient) and their collaborators from MIT received
the Fred Jelinek Best Paper Award for their innovative work on
syntactic parsing with the title "Dual Decomposition for Parsing with
Non-Projective Head Automata".

Here is a complete list of the papers presented by Googlers at the
conference:
Dual Decomposition for Parsing with Non-Projective Head Automata (Fred
Jelinek Best Paper Award) by Terry Koo, Alexander M. Rush, Michael
Collins, Tommi Jaakkola, and David Sontag
"Poetic" Statistical Machine Translation: Rhyme and Meter (see also
here) by Dmitriy Genzel, Jakob Uszkoreit, and Franz Och
Efficient Graph-Based Semi-Supervised Learning of Structured Tagging
Models by