Web Services

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Fri May 28 16:12:51 EDT 2010

David Bovill wrote:
> I'm keen to start exploring some interface design for LD - and think that
> the best way to do that would be if there were exposed web services. In
> particular I'd like to work on a mobile phone interface for iPhone and
> Android, and to look at custom web front ends, that allow drawing of
> delegation graphs and exploration of delegation graphs visually.

That could be useful.  Votorola's own visualizations are kind of
primitive.  Also, a mobile app has the potential to evolve into what
Thomas has called a meta-tool.  (IMHO, that's the interface of the
future.)

> Micheal does Votorola currently have web services and if so are they
> documented anywhere? ...

Not for what you need, David.  I guess you'd want to browse the fully
traced/counted graph.  For the poll G/p/sandbox, for example, you'd
want an API to browse the model under this UI:
http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/w/Votespace?u=Test-b-ZeleaCom&p=G!p!sandbox

I can code it, no problem.  It would be a WS API onto this:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/_/javadoc/index.html?votorola/a/poll/CountTable.PollView.html
In particular, you'd use the equivalent of these two methods:

 1. sublistEndCandidates(offset, limit)
    for the roots of the trees (cyclic graphs actually)

 2. sublistCastersByCandidate(candidateEmail, offset, limit)
    for climbing upward

> ... Also in terms of the diagrams you currently produce for the
> documentation - what software do you use for this / do you have
> icons / graphic elements that I could use for the dynamic graphing /
> map exploration? I think it would be good to use a common visual
> language for the documentation and user interface :)

Which diagrams?  Almost everything is drawn in Inkscape.