G/p/vohall - Home page for Votorola

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Mon May 17 23:47:14 EDT 2010

Thomas von der Elbe wrote:
> I changed the last paragraph of my homepage-proposal:
> http://u.zelea.com/w/User:ThomasvonderElbe_GmxDe/G/p/vohall

At the bottom: http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/w/Diff?a=2891&b=2893
(That's our new hack/prototype of a difference bridge.  It's ugly as
 sin.  It works poorly on these drafts too, because of the long
 wrapped lines.  Still hacking...)

> Now it doesn't sound like sinking anymore (I doubt it ever did ;-). And
> also its not just a plea, but also an answer to people who would like to
> contribute but dont know how and where and also dont get the impression,
> that this would be welcomed. Doesn't every project have a page or
> section like this?

We're doing OK.  What other e-dem project has two contributors as
active as we are? :-) But it's the users that we *most* need to reach
out to (you agree?).  So here's a proposal:

  1. Add cherry-picking to the difference bridge.  It won't only show
     differences, but also resolve them, one by one.

     [2 days]

  2. Refine the usability of the bridge by testing it on p/vohall.
     Out of this, we get:

       a) Consensus on the home page, which I'll post, including your
          appeal to contributors.

       b) A usable difference bridge.

     [10 days +]

  3. Use the bridge to reach out to users in their native habitats
     (discussion forums especially) where they're already doing the
     real stuff of democracy (more or less).  Get them working with
     the tools, in some capacity.

  4. Use that experience to refine the tools (all together) and make
     them useful to the users.  This is alpha testing, but with live
     users.  (They're hurting for tools.  So maybe if we help them,
     they'll help us.)

What do you think?