Kings or Servants?

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Mon May 17 06:33:25 EDT 2010

Hello folks,

in an off-list conversation with David, he brought up the following
interesting case:

What if a number of candidates have exactly the same position and also
the same number of voters? OFC they should come together in one tree,
but who votes for whom? I can imagine many humans would want the other
to vote for them. To have many voters seems to imply that one is honored
a lot. And to become the leading end-candidate would be the ultimate
honor. Now I see several solutions for this:

1. They look for somebody they all can vote for. This could be one of
their voters e.g. or someone completely new.

2. They create a virtual voter/position which is no human and therefore
has no vote that will be counted and they all vote for it. This could
also make sense if e.g. Greenpeace would want to have an official
Greenpeace-Proposal. Maybe they would not want to have this attached to
a single human. (Even though such a human could also be seen as just the
person in charge instead of the author of the proposal.)

3. They vote for each other and create a vote-circle.

4. They realize, that it is actually just as much of a great honor, to
have no voters at all  but such a good proposal that it takes over the
whole tree by itself. Because if a proposal is good, you don't need
voters behind you to convince your delegate and his delegate and ... ;-)

And since with just one click all your voters can turn away from you, it
also requires a lot of work to keep them happy. So the end-candidates
are just as much the servants of the tree as its kings. Actually I
think, that at some point they should even get paid for this work/service.

Greetings,
Thomas