Votorola's home page (p/vohall) as theatre

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Jul 13 20:00:25 EDT 2010

Thomas von der Elbe wrote:
> I like the idea of the outreach part, but it covers only one point
> of the help-section I'm proposing (* Test Users). What do you think
> about the rest?

I don't think the outreach is a test. :-) Seriously, I think it's the
real thing, alive and kicking.  I like how Boal puts it:

  I, Augusto Boal, want the Spectator to take on the role of Actor and
  invade the Character and the stage.  I want him to occupy his own
  Space and offer solutions. *

Looking at it that way, it's easy to see that our "invaders" won't be
waiting for an invitation, or answering want ads.  They'll be too busy
invading.  Here's a stage with a couple of clumsy invaders on it, both
trying to learn how to be Spect-Actors:
http://rabble.ca/babble/western-provinces/possible-strategy-ginger-group-bc-new-democrats
It's fun to think how democracy hinges on their success, even if it's
only a fantasy.

My gut feeling is that our *strongest* presentation is just to show
the stage, front and center.  I'm still not sure how to do that (?).
But I'm pretty sure the rest of the home page is nothing but an
optional "program" to all of that.  People may look up facts on it.
They may read it during the intermission, if they're bored.

> PS: See how the UP world government project puts this:
>
> "Note that the development of this site is not the responsibility of a
> few - but of all. Everyone is welcome to participate in the further
> development of this site."

Boal replaces "this site" with "drama".  We can replace it with
"democracy".  Although Boal himself equates dramaturgy with politics,
his equation isn't quite true.  He's a great story teller!  He has
hands-on experience with participatory politics (serving a term as
Vereador and prototyping his "legislative theatre"), but he's weak on
the larger practice of it.  He's missing some heavy stage equipment
that I think we can supply.

* Augusto Boal.  1974, 2000.  Theater of the oppressed.  New edition.
  Translated from the Spanish (Teatro del Oprimido) by Charles
  A. McBride, Maria-Odilia Leal McBride and Emily Fryer.  Pluto Press,
  London.  p. xxi.  http://books.google.ca/books?id=g8ZbuK6AlqsC