Link to trigger new position

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Jul 6 10:37:32 EDT 2010

Alex Rollin wrote:
> is there a template for a new position?
>
> I can't find it in the list.
>
> Perhaps this has something to do with the name of the logged in user?
> (Curiosity about how things work.)
>
> That said, I'd like to build a link that says: "Add a new position to
> this poll!" and put it <somewhere>
>
> I see that the "My Position" button is there, but it does not invoke a template.

There was bug, Alex.  It affected your numeric polls (like
P2P/p/30242).  I fixed it.

Here's how it should work: If you don't have a position, then it takes
you to a non-existent page (of course).  From there you can press edit
to create the position.  At that point, the page name is matched
against patterns defined here (see $wgBoilerPlateAry):
http://zelea.com/system/host/u/var/www/localhost/htdocs/mediawiki-c/LocalSettings.php

If it matches as a position page (valid username and poll name) then
the page content is preloaded from this template:
http://u.zelea.com/w/Template:New_position_preload.
What the user sees in his edit box is this, which is a minimal "hello
world" position:

  {{position summary
   | position description={{subst:MediaWiki:Vo-positionSummary}}.
   }}

  [[Category:Position]]

> I can see it as useful when attempting a diff?  Where I start from my
> position and compare?  How is it useful?
>
> It doesn't do all that methinkst it should, though, because it lacks a
> template.  It took me a bit to figure out that's why the position
> wasn't showing in my Poll list of positions.

It should work now.