Publicity and communicating - crossforum theatre and crossforum ranging

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Thu Aug 19 08:01:58 EDT 2010

Hi gang, been lurking here for a while. Have some time to contribute,
especially now that this conversation has started up!

My work with Forum and Legislative Theatre goes back to 1998, and I've a
deep commitment to how to integrate real space discussions with Liquid
Democracy and online technical systems. I differ from most people in the LD
space by emphasising the importance of real space "theatre" in LD debate,
and moving away form emphasising text based and purely technical
descriptions of LD.

As a geek, the technical underpinnings are very interesting to me
personally, but LD suffers by being associated with internet based polling
and democracy, and this detracts from the understanding of the richness of
the form of debate that LD allows to be incorporated within "democratic"
liquid decision making.

What I find really great about the discussion here is to find others talking
and feeling the importance of these issues too - and actually building tools
to realise the vision. To contribute myself I'd like to begin to outline
what I picture as an overlap between the current discussion and the software
(user interface) potentials and real space / marketing strategy that I feel
is appropriate to the development of LD / Votorolla.

   1. Real Space Events
   2. Interface Work (game Play)
   3. Structural Work (creative defence of informal autonomous space)

I see putting these three elements together, and realised in a promotional
tour of a interactive performance, that is self organised at venues through
the web site. Yes, this is supported by a technical LD framework (that can
be embedded in web sites), but there is an emphasis on content, video, live
debate and real space discussions, and we would seek to work closely with
people who can help visualise and contribute to these performances. Our
guerilla gardeners become more real space performers than online activists.

More soon...

david