Simple stuff - vocab and familiarity

JAnne Davies judithdaviestripp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 19:48:13 EDT 2010

Furthermore,as much as the "canned" is worthy to be despised as in
http://www.brainyquote.com/, history demonstrates that the the
majority of people, at least up until now, can easily be persuaded to
do what the elites want them to do because the elites have the "power"
to persuade. True, the persuasion may involve the threat of military
force and or some other form of fear mongering, nevertheless, "canned
democracy" has had an appeal for centuries and finds currency within
state run democracies even now. For example,
"A potent threat to freedom is posed by the rise of democracy's
"doubles"—regimes that claim to be democratic and may look like
democracies, but which rule like autocracies. Liberal democracy today
is challenged on one side by Hugo Rafael Chávez revolutionary
Venezuela and on the other by Vladimir Putin's anti revolutionary
Russia. The rise of Chávez's "direct democracy" and Russia's "directed
democracy" poses a clear challenge to the political pluralism that is
central to liberal democracy."

Of course Votorola has nothing to do with any of this except insofar
as it is able to promote authentic dialogue - a pluralism of many
voices. Ideally votorola is intended to provide the technical means
for democratic processes to occur from the ground up; it be
subversive, occur on the ground and will be  grass roots.

A question remains: who are the people on the "ground"? Are WE the
"grassroots people on the ground" sufficiently known and understood
such that Votorola will be designed to appeal to "WE DUMMIES"? In the
end will WE want to interface with Votorola' e-democracy as "THE
MEANS" to authentic participatory democracy?