Code the data archiving and verification facilities (3b)

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Wed Apr 14 01:53:14 EDT 2010

Some of us were exchanging notes off-list, on the need for keeping
historical records of vote shifts for various reasons (some I hadn't
really thought of).  We don't keep these records in Votorola yet, but
it's now planned: http://u.zelea.com/w/User:Mike-ZeleaCom/G/p/vop

 3. Ready Votorola's pollserver (continued)

    b) Code the data archiving and verification facilities

       Record all vote shifts in the database, not just the lastest
       vote dispositions.  Re-implement the snapshot export interface,
       moving it from the filebase to the database. *

       Allow for independent verification of poll results based on
       static snapshots of vote, configuration and other input data.

I'm guessing this is still a few months in the future, unless
priorities shift in the meantime (or we get another coder).

 * Historical records of vote shifts must be implemented early on.
   Aside from allowing more efficiency in the generation of public
   snapshots for verification purposes, the history will serve another
   crucial purpose.  It will provide a strong safeguard against vote
   buying.  See the last item (v) at
   http://zelea.com/project/votorola/d/theory.xht#vote-buy