Seeing the differences among position drafts

davidm masondavid at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 14:03:24 EDT 2009

Have you looked into the Semantic Mediawiki universe at all? I have
been spending a lot of time there, and it adds a quite important layer
around regular Mediawiki.

Mediawiki on its own supports the fully public hypertext pages, pages
that can only be edited by a user in their userspace, categories, and
templates (which are strongly recommended to be used in any case over
tables for repetitive content).

With Semantic Mediawiki, you gain richly typed page properties/links,
forms, queries and views, as well as an RDF interface. There is a
large universe of extensions that add features like more dynamic
forms, ACL, maps, calendars, timelines, etc.

I wouldn't want this universe to distract from the core Votorola work.
But I think for now exploring some of these features would yield a lot
more benefit than just using MW as a page management system. It could
be used for annotation of text, however I would today think that the
user's own comment text (I support this because...), followed by an
actionable statement ([[supports::Budget increase for daycare
services]]) might be a more practical way. Please take a look at
http://www.discoursedb.org, a SMW site, for a structured example.

Here's a site I've been working on, around a generic representation of
government:

http://subvention.zooid.org/wiki/L1

I could work through some scenarios if anyone would like to explore
this.

David