Alpha-two and usability trials

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Jul 28 14:02:46 EDT 2009

I have an initial cut of the pollspace browser.  It's running on my
offline pollserver.  The two pollservers are:

  http://t.zelea.com:8080/v/w/
  http://t.zelea.com:8080/voff/w/

I ran a simulation with ~40K voters.  Here's the script:
http://zelea.com/system/host/t/home/voff/votorola/bin/vosim-40k

The resulting cascades are here:

  http://t.zelea.com:8080/voff/w/?p=ward-20-councillor

Keys for the query parameters are here:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/_/javadoc/votorola/a/poll/web/WP_Pollspace.html

Caveats:

  * It's slow.  (I'll optimize it later.)

  * It may have a few bugs.

  * It's not finished yet.  It still needs:

    - Voting controls, so you can accept candidate referrals, or shift
      your vote as you navigate from candidate to candidate

    - Pagers, so you can page through nodes (polls, voters,
      candidates) beyond the top 10 or so, in each tier

    - Bread crumbs, so you can see your own vote traces, and don't get
      lost

    - Results corrections, so you get feedback on your vote shifts

    - External links to the wiki (*) for descriptive info on districts
      and polls, candidates and position drafts (in collaborative
      space)

    - External links to neighbouring pollservers, for navigating from
      region to region (out there in geographic/administrative space)

It may take 2 weeks.  Then I'll draft some how-to's/walk-throughs in
the wiki.  If it's good enough, we might start using it in small ways
(like voting up our own dev/admin priorities).

Toronto, 647-436-4521