Not direct democracy, not the rule of the people

koikaze fredgohlke at verizon.net
Fri Jul 10 08:58:45 EDT 2009

Good Morning, Michael

Thank you for updating me on the current state of Votorola.  Methinks
I let eagerness overcome knowledge.  In more prosaic terms, that's
called 'Jumping to a conclusion'.  I apologize.

I regret that I can't help you with architecture or implementation.
They are beyond my level of expertise ... 'way beyond.

re: "It had to do with manipulation of the voters."

My view is that the best of our people are the least susceptible to
manipulation.  The problem is that, while we know the best of our
people are evenly distributed throughout society, we have no means of
identifying them and selecting them.  That's why I favor a method that
starts with ... everyone.  I'm confident the cream of the crop will
rise.

Your list of impediments to objective public participation in politics
is excellent.  I can't add to it because most of my concerns fall
under the 'systemic barriers' head.

re: "I like the fact that we can implement PD (and maybe Pivato's
     method too) with Votorola."

My guess is that we couldn't implement PD (Practical Democracy) until
some community made participation mandatory.  That drawback does not
exist with Professor Pivato's PD (Pyramidal Democracy).

With Pyramidal Democracy, the idea of the upper levels molding
legislative language into final shape in Votorola, with supporting and
contesting arguments for each provision presented publicly before
adoption, is appealing.

Fred Gohlke