web interface

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Feb 24 21:15:07 EST 2009

ken maina wrote:

> I have also run vox-voters to register a batch of test voters.*Q:*Do
> vox-voters also cast the test votes?

Yes.  Or you can modify vox-voters, so they do something else, aside
from registering and voting.  (It's just a scratch script, for testing
stuff.)

The output from the vox scripts looks OK.  You don't have a Web
interface up yet, so it's clumsy to test.  But here's one way to test
the count:

  voter marion at iquorum.net dev-trinity-spadina-mp vote

Substitute your own election name, and test voter (if different).  For
me, I get this (running v. 0.1.12.1):

  Member of Parliament for Trinity - Spadina

  You are voting for:  raychong at kmail.com

             __
            /
           /   4

      marion at iquorum.net
      Marion Hewitt

      raychong at kmail.com
      Raymond Chong
      http://charterhouse.ca/ray.xht

          | 36
          |
          |  __
          | /
          |/   216

      alison.roberts at corona.ca  --->  holding 252

  The final recipient of the vote is alison.roberts at corona.ca.  The vote trace
  (above) is from the latest count: snap-2009-02-11 / readyCount-2009-02-11.  It
  excludes subsequent changes made by voters.

So I know my count was tallied and mounted.

> My biggest problem now is how to setup the web interface. Am using Tomcat
> 6.0.8 in Ubuntu 8.10 and am not that good with tomcat, i'm more of an Apache
> guy. The settings given in the manual are too admin minimal (i guess ) to
> launch a web app in Tomcat. Am used to the
> *webapp->>WEB-INF>>lib>classes*setup. How do point to the
> a/web/base/WEB-INF  and register it with Tomcat.
> Right now with the setup given i'm only getting 404 code from the server.
> Please help me on this.

(Tomcat 6.0.8 should be OK.  I have 6.0.16.)

Run it out the box, following the Tomcat manual.  It comes with a
built-in test app (showing the docs, and other stuff).  It should work
fine.

Then follow the Votorola manual, section 4 (Web).  Create the 2 files
as explained there, and it should work...

Toronto, 647-436-4521