Meta-Tool

Martin Häcker mhaecker at schwarz-online.org
Mon Dec 7 17:11:07 EST 2009

> I agree with Friedrich's concern.  Autocasting won't necessarily work
> between all voting engines, especially in both directions.  And we
> don't ever want to force a vote translation to the point where it
> distorts the results.  So I wrote up these examples in the wiki:
> http://t.zelea.com/wiki/User:ThomasvonderElbe_GmxDe/Vote_mirroring#Vote_translation

I think that in theory every voting engine where in the end each user has one vote and the issues are _exactly_ the same these votes could be translated.

However as soon as this assumption breaks in the slightest (different proposals / any difference in the voting) this cannot be done anymore.

Especially different proposals or just additional proposals should be a very common cause here - therefore I propose that it is far more productive to show what other engines are doing, instead of trying to mirror the votes.

A different proposal would be to create a peer to peer architecture for one voting engine. If I may dream: a p2p network without central nodes, where each user contributes his bit of computing power to make the whole thing work.

:-) I'd like that.

It is however so much harder to create that I'd like to postpone this till we have more than 1000 combined voters in all apps.

:)

Back to the authentication challenge: What additional metadata do we absolutely need to exchange in adition to openid?

Could we encode that in easy ways - for example in the profile url, or in the allowed hosts?

If not, what are the ways and are they practical enough for us?

If so, who is willing to step forward and try to implement a working prototype?

At the Liqd e.V. and at the Piratenpartei we are searching for somebody with some OpenID knowledge who is willing to help us and help plan the operation of one OpenID server for us.

Regards,
Martin