Meta Portal

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 09:01:36 EST 2009

Renamed this thread to separate it from the vote-mirroring discussion.
Reviewed your post regarding the "Meta Portal". Pretty well what i am
proposing.

One question, why go to the trouble of hosting all the implementations on
the same infrastructure - or have I got this wrong? Would seem to me that
the resources would be better spent by simply getting up a low
infrastructure meta-site, concentrating an what each LD implementation
should reveal to the meta portal in terms of html embeds  / web services?
Why go the extra step of common hosting etc?

2009/12/6 Friedrich Lindenberg <friedrich at pudo.org>

> I agree. In order to demonstrate the strengths of each platform, we'll
> have to let each system use its own process, both before the user's
> decision-making and after that. It is just separating the two that I
> am concerned with.

OK - would be good to understand this concern in more detail (as I share
it).

> > Finally I'd argue for a common import export format that minimizes the
> > trauma of moving between one implementation and another, and maximizes
> our
> > ability to run a practical trial in which several implementations take
> part.
>
> This, again, would have to be a very limited process.

Agreed. Not even sure it is a good idea. I think it is something we could
develop as part of the Meta Portal - particularly if we can fund a trial
project that several LD implementations can benefit from taking part in.

I'd like to ask a few questions that would help see what synergy technically
and funding wise may be possible:

*LD Implemantations*
Would be good to know what the languages and dependencies each of the
implementations use?

*Funding* *and resources*
Are any LD implementations funded? If they are who by? Are they supported by
an institution / university? What are the resources available to each
implementation - servers, developers etc? What resources would projects like
to be found / fund raised for?