Meta-Tool

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 10:48:57 EST 2009

Friedrich - I agree with the logic, and the pragmatics with what you say
below from a theoretical perspective.

However, for I'd suggest that this may be entirely missing the argument I am
trying to make with regard to why (accepting what you say below), it is
still worth exploring some common technical ground between implementations.

The suggestion I make is for a very different purpose. I am not being as
ambitious as to try to map results I just want to be able to display each
LD's different results given the same rough base community / data) - rather
I would actively *encourage* each LD system to come up with different
results in order to create the choice and diversity upon which we can build
a rich set of LD decision making tools. Some will be better for certain
circumstances some others.

What I am arguing for is a practical form of integration between systems
which maps to the human issue of getting users to use a system. For that
there is still common ground that all LD implementations can benefit from,
and that common ground can be more than simply using open ID so that users
can more easily move from one web application to another.

We also need users enough users, debating an appropriate issue in which LD
makes sense. I've seen the following happen a number of times now:

   - a LD software project inspires a number of developers
   - A small group, collects around each implementation
   - Discussion is mainly around theory and implementation
   - Interface and users lag behind
   - Small groups of users do not benefit from LD and revert back to simple
   non-delegated systems
   - The various LD implementations do not gain traction

To counter this I am proposing, that we look to come together to market the
concept of LD together. We look to fund raise for trials together where
possible, while allowing each implementation to go for its own funding and
community projects, and we look to provide a forum where we can collect rich
test data (live and archived), and allow a wider audience to compare
different LD implementations.

Finally I'd argue for a common import export format that minimizes the
trauma of moving between one implementation and another, and maximizes our
ability to run a practical trial in which several implementations take part.

With regard to the aspiration that each LD implementation can inter-operate
in some way with regard to actual decision making - vote mirroring or other
- I'd suggest that something on those lines may emerge later down the road
given, successful cooperation between LD implementations along the lines I
am suggesting. I would suggest that that may be more likely by mirroring the
results of a group represented by members of a particular implementation,
rather than each individual, and mirroring those - but I'd agree with
Friedrich to put such speculation off for a while, and see if there were a
more practical basis for cooperation which concentrated on the real world
problem of not having users and resources to do a big enough test project.