Horizontal cascades and vertical geo-locals

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Sun Aug 2 14:11:54 EDT 2009

Yes, the horizontal layout is even better.
Especially that the arrow really points at the delegate whose voters you
want to see listed. And the additional data in the collumns is very good
too. Maybe later the list can be sorted by those parameters (distance,
votes, ...).

If one has voted already it is probably good to see ones own vote-flow
right as the start-page (otherwise just the end-candidates).

By "add the voting controls " you mean, that I can shift my vote to
another candidate right in the tree (without following the link to his
wiki and vote from there), right? This is very good too.

> Then we can focus on the collaborative drafting of positions/proposals
> (wiki), and the connection with other sites (distributed voting
> controls, sparklines, etc.), and how all three of these interfaces
> work together for the use-case of campaigning (vote for me!).  I think
> you agree, that's the critical path.

Yes, but I think the distributed voting controls are more important,
because then the whole mashine will be functionable already and we could
start testing it.
> PS, on self-voting: If we allowed it for the root candidates, then I
> agree your suggestion is best: we'd have them all vote for themselves
> automatically.  Currently we disallow self-voting entirely (it has no
> effect).  The advantages of disallowing it are (i) stability in
> continuous voting, because a shift in one's own vote can never affect
> one's standing; (ii) in the math and code (if I recall) for the
> handling of vote cycles, it gives cleaner invariants and simpler edge
> cases; (iii) incentive to vote freely and honestly, especially near
> the leaves, because voting for someone else (becoming a delegate)
> cannot diminish my own (probably low) vote count, and therefore cannot
> affect my relative standing; and (iv) you can vote for anybody, but
> not just anybody can vote (there are usually residency criteria), and
> this will complicate the automation of candidate self-votes.
>
> On the other hand, allowing self-voting would give a more accurate
> calculation of % turnout.  Currently, the root candidates are not
> included in the turnout.

I don´t think, that issue is important now, but ... How would it be, if
*every* voter automatically votes for his own draft and can additionally
delegate his vote to another draft? So that his vote counts for both
drafts then. Just like everybodys vote counts for his/her delegate and
further for their delegates too.
For (iv) we would later need a filter-mechanism to filter out the votes
of non-residents.
But point (i) and (iii) would be solved this way.

Thomas