A coincidence of great and minor powers

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Jul 15 22:27:32 EDT 2008

> ... I might like person A's position on automobile emissions
> standards, and person B's position on food safety standards.  How
> can I vote a position consistent with person A on automobile
> emissions, and consistent with person B on food safety, without
> tracking every legislative decision?

The idea in Votorola is that each proposal (law, plan, or policy) is
voted separately, in separate elections.  So there are 2 elections in
this case, and you can vote for:

 - person A for automobile emissions standards
 - person B for food safety standards

You need no knowledge of the actual legislation in order to vote
sensibly.  Nor do A and B need to be legislators themselves.  They
only need to be a little more knowledgeable than you.  Your rationale
for choosing them might be:

 - A is an automotive mechanic who rides her bicycle to work
 - B is the chef at your favourite restaurant

You don't have to track it any further; you can just cast two votes,
and leave it at that.  But if you are interested in following up (and
have the time), then you'll be able to see how A and B themselves
decided to vote, and where their votes and yours have cascaded to.
Almost certainly they will have passed through several experts, and
several legislative drafters, all of whom will be busily putting them
to work.

(To participate more than this, you can start talking to A and B.  You
can question their own rationales for voting as they did.  And if you
don't get satisfactory answers from them, or if their positions don't
make sense to you, then you can shift your votes.)